Viticulture Advisor (Applied Research and Extension) AP 21-35
Date Posted: November 24, 2021
Closing Date: January 28, 2022
Job Description: Download
Location Headquarters: San Joaquin County, CA
Purpose: The Viticulture Advisor will implement an innovative extension education and applied research program to address high priority production issues in wine and table grapes including pest, disease and water management.
The advisor will support entry-level growers who require an intensive educational effort on basic viticulture and pest management practices while experienced growers need information on new technologies to remain competitive. All producers face mounting pressures from increased regulatory and environmental compliance requirements as well as cost-competitiveness in an increasingly glo bal marketplace. Secondary responsibilities will include providing support for cane berries and blue berries, although the major program emphases will be on wine grape production.
This is an exciting opportunity to have meaningful impacts in the viticulture communities of the northern Central Valley and throughout California. The advisor will work closely with growers, industry and with more than 100 pest control advisors, a large and important secondary clientele group.
Counties of Responsibility. This position will be headquartered in San Joaquin with regional responsibilities in southern Sacramento (including the Lodi Appellation in southern Sacramento) and Stanislaus counties.
Education: A minimum of a Master’s degree in viticulture, crop science, soil science, pest management, or a closely related field is required at the time of appointment.
- Valid driver license.
- Live within a commutable distance of the position headquarters during period of appointment.
- The CE Advisor must possess or obtain within one year of hire a Qualified Pesticide Applicator Certificate (QAC) prior to applying pesticides or supervising the application of any pesticide.
- Experience with vineyard or orchard crops.
- Passion and desire to pursue a career in Cooperative Extension and community development.
- Experience in successful Cooperative Extension programming or community development,
- Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, manage teams and implement a research program, including setting measurable goals and objectives.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: The beginning salary will be in the Assistant CE Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding CE advisor series salary scales, please refer to: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/358478.pdf
This position is eligible for indefinite status following three successful reviews and subject to terms noted in UC ANR Policy and Procedure Manual, Section 315 https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/118501.pdf
How to Apply
If interested in this position, please visit: https://recruit.ucanr.edu/ and choose “applicants” (refer to position #21-35)
Closing Date: To assure full consideration, application packets must be received by
January 28, 2022 – (open until filled)
Contact Tatiana Avoce (HR) email: email@example.com